View the map for The Diocese of West Missouri
About The Diocese of West Missouri
From its founding in 1889, The Diocese of West Missouri has been a diverse mix of urban, town and rural Episcopal churches. Our churches span the western half of the state in communities as distinct as Kansas City, Joplin and Warrensburg. What they have in common is a commitment to the gospel message and engagement with their local communities.
The roots of The Diocese of West Missouri lie in the work of Bishop Jackson Kemper, a missionary who established Episcopal Church congregations in Indiana and Missouri between 1836 and 1845. At that time, the entire state of Missouri was one diocese. That changed in 1889 when a line was drawn from north to south through the state and The Diocese of West Missouri was established.
The diocese's churches and members are located in the urban areas of Springfield, Joplin, St. Joseph and the Kansas City metro area and many small towns and rural areas. Episcopal Church ministries within the diocese include health care institutions, a retirement community and a social services organization with joint sponsorship from the Diocese of Kansas. West Missouri shares the Bishop Kemper School for Ministry with the Dioceses of Kansas, Western Kansas and Nebraska. The school offers local training for the priesthood and the diaconate along with training for specialized lay ministries.
In our diocese The Episcopal Church has a distinctively midwestern flavor. Many historic church buildings dating from the late 19th century are still in use with many of their original furnishings. Our churches vary in their style of worship from Anglo-catholic liturgy to informal spoken services with praise bands. What they have in common is a commitment to the gospel message and engagement with their local communities. In West Missouri as always, the Episcopal Church welcomes you.
Featured Stories From Around the Diocese of West Missouri
2022 Roanridge Trust Grant Recipient - Episcopal Diocese of West Missouri: $20,265
Episcopal Diocese of West Missouri: $20,265
Partners in Presence