About Diocese of Michigan
The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan was organized in 1832 by Episcopal parishes in the territory of Michigan (which included present-day Wisconsin). From its beginning St. Paul’s Church in Detroit (the current Cathedral) served as the see of the diocese, and the early bishops served as rector of St. Paul’s. When Michigan became a state the boundaries of the diocese were fixed as the boundaries of the state. As the church grew the bishops found it difficult to administer such a large area, and the parishes farther from Detroit desired a bishop closer to their own areas and more attuned to their local needs. To address these concerns the diocese eventually was divided three times. The current Diocese of Michigan includes only the Detroit Metropolitan Area and adjacent regions as far west as Lansing, Jackson, and Hillsdale.
Diocese of Michigan official website