The Episcopal Diocese of Lexington was formed in 1895 when the original Diocese of Kentucky was divided into two - the Diocese of Lexington taking responsibility for the Eastern half of the state. The diocese is culturally and geographically diverse, stretching north to south from St. Andrew’s in Fort Thomas to St. Mary’s in Middlesboro, and east to west from Calvary in Ashland to Church of the Ascension in Frankfort. The diocese incorporates the city of Lexington and the horse farms of the Bluegrass, the suburbs of Cincinnati, as well as the rural Appalachian communities of the eastern coalfields and rural southern Kentucky.
Situated in Province IV of the church, the diocese comprises 36 faith communities with 78 active or retired clergy. The diocesan cathedral is located in the city of Lexington as is Mission House, the administrative headquarters of the diocese. The bishop is supported by a staff of eight, by a Standing Committee of six, and an Executive Council of twenty-four.
The diocese also supports The Cathedral Domain, a camp and conference center located on 800 acres on the edge of the Daniel Boone National Forest and close to the Red River Gorge. Summer camps, retreats, conferences, and visitors looking to enjoy the beauties of the Eastern Kentucky Mountains use the Domain.
St Patrick's of Somerset Kentucky has a special webpage on our site dedicated to helping individuals and families connect and worship with one another during this time. The webpage also contains links to our newsletters that are sent each week.